29 October 2010

Halloweeeen

Ami is two and he is celebrating Halloween for the first time in his life.

Last year we decided strictly against it. But last year we were slightly more Kosher too.
And we were at a conservative synagogue.

Not to say that we aren't still leaning conservative but we're more open minded now about other things. Like Halloween.

I decided I dislike the argument that Jews shouldn't celebrate Halloween. Mainly because we aren't really celebrating it. We are participating in it. It is a secular holiday and any arguments that say otherwise (like those that say it's a pagan holiday and therefore idolatrous) are full of it.


I didn't convert haredi for a reason, mainly being that I don't quite jibe with the whole distancing-oneself-from the-mainstream bit.

Also, Ami is already so different as it is. And he will grow up feeling different even if he goes to Jewish day school. so I figure I can give him one mainstream holiday.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...