18 August 2010

China Chow

Last night an unprecedented event happened. I got home from work, ate dinner and watched TV. I never watch TV. Scratch that, I shouldn't give a definitive "never." I do watch TV or, rather, Netflix but usually under only two conditions: 1) it is 11pm on a Saturday and I am indulging in a Law and Order SVU marathon--nevermind that I've most likely already seen all of the episodes; 2) Ami wants to watch "Island of Sodor" aka Thomas and Friends.

Unfortunately for me, someone who grew up exclusively alonside the TV, there just isn't enough time in the day, let alone enough creativity in the world, to make me want to sit idly in front of the screen for an extended period of time. Of course there are exceptions, mainly True Blood and now Work of Art.

I loooooved this show. Make that present-tense--I LOVE this show. I get that art is by definition not supposed to be for the masses. I took enough Art History courses in college to know that you can dissect the meaning behind the tiniest detail or simplest art work (as I did for 12 pages on the art of Yoko Ono). But Work of Art made art so communal. As it should be. It brought people in.

Originally I set out to write about the power I felt and the emotion that was elicited everytime China Chow teared up during eliminations. It seemed so genuine and actually real. I didn't realize that she had been criticized for showing that emotion on various art blogs. I should have guessed, given Jerry Saltz's recaps on NYMag, that the art world is a synical world. But I guess I refust to except it. And I realized today how mad it makes me that people try to be completely high-brow when it comes to art. 

Mainly irking me today was the ARTINFO recap on yahoo. Even Jerry Saltz finally gave credit to the show for what it was: an addition to the scope of art language that currently exists--a forward step in the evolution of public art. I think the rest of the art world should get on board.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...